Saturday, June 2, 2012

Poetry Fun

As you know I've taught a span of grade levels. As I was trying to unclutter my cupboards, I found a wonderful memory from my years in 1st grade, my poetry books.

This oldie but goodie is the inspiration behind it

I have a Big Book copy of this story and would read it once a month.
Then my little firsties would get a copy of the poem and illustrate it.
By the end of the year my whole class could recite each poem like no tomorrow!

I leave you with a musical rendition of Chicken Soup with Rice


  1. This is an adorable idea for poetry!! We need to teach more poetry in 1st grade next year with the Common Core standards & this is perfect. Thanks for sharing!
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

  2. Like Lisa said, this year with Common Core it was the first year I had to really hit poetry as an entire unit. It was tough to find stuff! I'll definitely have to keep this tucked away for next year! Thanks for sharing! :)

    The First Grade Splash

  3. Love it! I do something similar!

  4. How sweet to share soup with a squirrel!

    ☞Go NuTTY with ME!

  5. I love this idea. I do poems each week with my students. I love the idea of doing the one from Chicken Soup and Rice each month. Thanks for the idea.
    Ms. Kerri and her Krazy Kindergarten

  6. I love using poetry in the classroom. Just discovered your blog and I'm your newest follower.



Pin It button on image hover